Hello
everyone –
Sharon
here, interpreting two emails from Janice so that I can update you.
The
ship docked in Botany Bay, Australia, at midnight on May 2. The captain allowed
me to wait until morning to depart the ship, which was nice. In the morning, after his duties with the
horse, the groom (Robby) got us a taxi to the airport. We had a driver from Pakistan who said it
would cost about $20, but it was $70. I had already checked prices one way to
Moree, where I planned to meet up with my friend Bobbie. It is a 1.5 hour trip for $400 and there is
only one flight a day. I went to the
city on the metro figuring I would take a bus or a train (I do like those long
rides). There was a train leaving in
four minutes so I just took it! $100 for first class, but a seven hour
ride. I borrowed a phone from a
passenger on the train and called Bobbie and left her a message. Later, the passenger whose phone I borrowed
said she had called back and would meet me.
Great!!
Since I
left so quickly, I did not have a chance to exchange money, but the porter on
the train said it was fine to use a credit card for food on the train. I ordered lunch and when paying she said the
machine was down. I told her that credit
was the only thing I had other than American currency. She said “well I will have to do it the old
fashioned way” and she slammed the reader down and used it. She needs a life!!
When we arrived in Moree, I got off of the train.
It was pitch dark, a gravel driveway, AND no Bobbie. I borrowed another phone to call her and she said she had
not gotten my call. It was a three hour
drive and she does not drive at night, so she said she would pick me up in the
morning. I wonder who got the call and
called back? What the heck, it is a
mystery for sure, so what to do? There
were lights about a block long so I dragged my suitcase there to look for a
hotel. It was a little creepy walking alone
in a strange town, but “ya gotta do what ya gotta do!” I found a hotel that was close and they had a
room. It was surprisingly cleaner than
it looked – I was safe for the night and had email. The adventures one has when traveling!
This morning
(it is Sunday and no banks are open), the big search for a breakfast place that
uses credit cards (they really don’t like them much in many foreign
countries). I walked about a mile and
had a wonderful “breaky” as they call it here.
I also saw a lot of nice hotels, but in the dark I had taken the first
one that I had found.
Here I sit (homeless and penniless right now), in a little outdoor shed near the hotel I was staying in, waiting for my camping buddy to pick me up and off we will go.
Till next time ...
Here I sit (homeless and penniless right now), in a little outdoor shed near the hotel I was staying in, waiting for my camping buddy to pick me up and off we will go.
Till next time ...
This is beginning to sound like a Bill Bryson book! I think you need to write one! Stay safe and well. Can't wait for the next chapter. Miss you! XO
ReplyDeleteHey Janice, that was me that got your voicemail. It was not very clear, and I couldnt make out the name of the person you were addressing. I only heard the part about a 9-hour train ride. I called the number and told the guy I was confused and asked him for more info, but he said u borrowed his phone and that was it!!! So no way to contact you. Anyway, call me when u are in Sydney. Lynnette xxx
ReplyDeleteAlways knew you were a BOBB. Let's get your stories on BOBBblog.
ReplyDeleteStay safe, my friend.
Sounds like a bit of an ordeal, but you are tough and should by now be out there having fun!- hope so! Anne W.
ReplyDeleteHi Janice!! Took me a while, but just got to reading your (whole) blog for the journey. What a story! What adventure! What a funny mix-up with that phone call! Enjoying the wonderful writing, and your humor, and all I can learn from your trip report (but I do know about the Doldrums :-). Enjoy the land portion of your trip...sxs
ReplyDeleteMissing you and hoping you're still having a great time!
ReplyDelete