Friday, May 9, 2014

Camping in Aussie Land

Bobbie, my Aussie friend, collected me with her 4 wheel drive - which has a pop up camper on top. I am starting to talk like an Aussie.  We left straight for the outback (we were kind of already there) and camped every night.  For sure, this is open country.   


There are places to stop but they are miles from each other. There may be just a big pub or sometimes a little pub with a little restaurant that would not pass America's health department. They love their beer and they have good ones, and they love a good time. Free camping is often allowed and sometimes the campgrounds are HUGE. 

Australians are so friendly, and so outdoorsy. One night we had a ball with a very good band and lots of campers parked on a large flat, dirt area. Pubs serve meals and be assured the slabs of meat will fill any persons belly.  They do their best trying to feed me, but vegetarians are a "plague". :) Here is a truism:  This kind of camping is woozy compared to the hikes in Yosemite. 
We've gone through some opal mines and most of the time we drove miles and miles to the next site. There are lots of HUGE fields and HUGE areas of cattle raising.  We see very little traffic, but what is on the road is big. They grow cotton, canola, sorghum and grains. The cotton bales are HUGE and the trucks that haul them cover a lot of area. The cattle trucks are 3 trailers long and 2 stories high and they are always hauling stuff that covers both lanes.

Nanny Joey
Animals:  We have seen kangaroo and wallabies, and lots of other Australian animals all the time, often as road kill. The emu do not get on the roads much, but they are all around. Almost every car has roo (or bull) bars in front of their cars to protect them from collisions with the animals.  The country is full of beautiful birds.I have been trying to get to Cobber Pedy, the town where people mine opals and because it is so hot, they live underground. There is an underground hotel...with a pool. But transportation to get there is difficult and it is too far to have Bobbie take me. I will keep working on it. I may have to wait until I get to Sydney where I may find a tourist package. Getting on the computer ain't so easy. 

I decided not to go to Tasmania on this trip. It is too cold this time of year.  I sure will miss seeing the wonderful people there.

We are at Bobbies house now so we may go out camping again.  

I am getting a little homesick......


Thanks for all your messages!

12 comments:

  1. On our Monday walks I want to hear all about what a veggie person eats while in 'slab of meat land' ... We miss you, girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great adventure! So happy you got to go! Container ship is much nicer than I anticipated! (from Annie via MPRC google acct)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The room I had was the Owner's Room. He/She was not on board, But the ship is junky, my room was great, Take care my friend

      Delete
  3. Always nice to see the updates on your adventure! All my family said big hello to you!!! Love, Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  4. All sounds good! Nice to read your news. Love Anne W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to get to see Steven and family tomorrow. Hard to get the transportation. See you soon..,,

      Delete
  5. Shall I send some tomatoes and cucumbers? Or perhaps cheese cake? Hope you'll manage to keep some meat on those bones :-). Keep on trekking, and reporting...and then come back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha. I still managed to eat enough. Finally back on land and 2 weeks of outback camping. So interesting. Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only had to take seasick pills 2X Pretty smooth sailing till the last few days, See you soon

      Delete
  7. If you do decide to come back, I might have some fresh veggies from the garden for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you're coming home....missed you. What a great bucket-list adventure you have accomplished! Can't wait to see some of your photos upon your return.
    Still remember how to play Scrabble?

    Looking forward to seeing you soon.

    Frances

    ReplyDelete